Table of Contents
- Definition of Personal Information
- Personal Information We Collect Directly from You
- Personal Information We Collect Automatically
- Use of Your Personal Information
- Sharing of Personal Information
- Your Consent
- Right to Withdraw Consent and Unsubscribe
EFFECTIVE DATE: JULY 15, 2021
Definition of Personal Information
Personal Information is information about an identifiable individual including, without limitation, information such as your name, address, birth date, and personal contact information and other information as described below. It may also include other types of more technical information such as IP addresses, geolocation, device ID, or browsing history in connection with our Applications or Websites, but only when this information can identify you as an individual. Information that is aggregated and cannot be associated with an identifiable individual is not considered to be Personal Information.
Personal Information We Collect Directly from You
Cineplex and its employees, agents, contractors, service providers, partners and representatives may collect the following Personal Information that you provide to us directly:
- Contact Information(e.g. name, home address, home or mobile telephone number or e-mail address) that you may provide to us, for instance, when you create a Cineplex Account, make an inquiry or contact us in person or through our Applications or Websites, by telephone, email, SMS, social media, or any other means of electronic communication;
- Credit or Debit Card Information, including card number, expiry date and CVS/CVV codethat you may provide to us, for instance, when purchasing theatre tickets or other products or services;
- Information relevant to a particular service you request(e.g. the age and gender of a child or other person where you request our birthday party services);
- Survey Responses (e.g. when you provide your name or other contact information in order to take part in a survey);
- Preferences and other Personal Information provided by you through our Applications or Websites (e.g. including but not limited to local theatre preferences, favourite movie genres, movie reviews, and comments);
- Job Applications(e.g. information you provide to us when applying for an employment opportunity by sending us a resume or by submitting a job application). All Personal Information and Applicant Information provided by you and during the application process must be true, complete and correct to the best of your knowledge. Any misrepresentation or omission of facts may result in refusal to hire or, if hired, may result in your dismissal at any time regardless of when the false answer or omissions are discovered. Please do not include any sensitive information in your application, such as unique identifiers (such as social insurance numbers) or financial information.
Personal Information We Collect Automatically
In some cases, we may collect information automatically which may not necessarily identify you as an individual. For instance, we may collect the following type of information:
- Images and Devices. We may use cameras, image sensors, and other technologies (ex. anonymous video analytics and anonymous traffic analysis) at our physical locations or advertising installations for the following purposes:
- measuring viewer engagement and interest with visual media in order to improve digital displays and signage;
- measuring viewer demographics present in our physical locations, including age and gender of viewers, in order to justify ad-space value and manage ad-content scheduling;
- forecasting trends and traffic patterns in order to improve resource allocation and management; and
- enhancing health and safety measures.
- For additional information on anonymous video analytics (AVA), please click here.
- These technologies are strictly used for the purposes of aggregated analysis (i.e. non-identifying purposes) and do not store images of individuals. We may also track devices which have communicated with our Wi-Fi systems, but such tracking is conducted without the storage of information that is personally identifying or specific to your mobile device (ex. MAC addresses). This information is collected for the purpose of improving our staffing and services. In some circumstances, we may share the aggregated statistical information compiled through the use of these technologies with our business partners, including advertisers. Technical Information. The nature of internet browsing is such that this activity passively and automatically collects and discloses certain information about each individual’s use of the internet. This information may be associated with an individual’s Internet Protocol ("IP") address. This is a unique internet "address" which is assigned to all internet users by their Internet Service Provider ("ISP"). Our server logs record statistical information, such as visitors' IP addresses, type of operating systems, time and duration of visit, webpages requested, as well as identifying categories of visitors by items such as domains and browser types.
- Our Applications and Websites make use of both "sessional" and "persistent" cookies or similar technologies. Cookies are small text files offered to your computer by Web servers in order to keep track of your browser settings as you navigate the site. Persistent cookies are stored on your hard drive. Sessional cookies are stored in temporary (cache) memory and are deleted when you shut down your browser or turn off your computer. We use these cookies or similar technologies to store your preferences, record session information such as language preferences, record user-specific information on what pages you access or visit, develop information about your preferences and interests, alert you to areas that we think might be of interest to you when you return to our site, record past activity in order to provide better service when you return to our site, help rotate banner advertising so as to ensure that visitors are not repeatedly sent the same banner ads, and customize Websites content based on your browser type or other information you provide. For each visit to our Websites, cookies or similar technologies may be used by our server to recognize you where you have indicated your preference to be automatically logged in. You may disable cookies using your browser's settings. Please consult your browser's help function for information on how to disable cookies. Note that if you disable cookies, certain features of our Websites will not function to their fullest potential.
- Social Media. If you sign into our Applications or Websites using a social media account such as Facebook or Twitter (“Social Media Platforms”), we will collect information that you have added in your registration profile from those accounts and which is made available to us by default by the relevant Social Media Platform. We may also collect Personal Information about you from your use of Social Media Platforms, through which you may allow us to collect (or the third party to share) Personal Information about you, such as details of your friends/connections, “likes”, comments you have shared, groups and location. In addition, we may receive Personal Information about you if other users of a third party website give us access to their profiles and you are one of their friends/connections or information about you is otherwise accessible through your friends’/connections’ web page, profile page, or similar page on a Social Media Platform or other third party website or interactive service. We may supplement the information we collect about you directly with the information we receive from third parties in order to enhance our ability to serve you, to tailor our content to you and send you details of promotions and/or offers which we believe may be of interest to you, although at all times, in compliance with applicable privacy laws.
Use of Your Personal Information
We collect and use Personal Information as permitted or required by law, with your consent or for the following purposes:
- To process your purchases and reservations:We may use your Personal Information to process your purchases and reservations. For instance, personal contact and credit/debit card information will be used by Cineplex to process your purchases and reservations (this includes purchases made through our Applications or Websites or at one of our physical locations or through special event bookings, or the purchase or rental of movies through the Cineplex Store). For event bookings, such as birthday parties, the child's name, age and gender will be used to organize the event. In these cases, credit/debit card information is only used for the purposes required to process and complete the transaction and/or service requested by you, and is only retained in transaction records required for internal management and auditing purposes or as otherwise required by law, unless you are informed otherwise or you provide your consent.
- For Theatre and The Rec Room Administration:Your name, address and telephone number may be stored by us should you provide such information, for instance when you use our lost-and-found or coat check services. Also, your name, address and telephone number may be collected and used by Cineplex for audit and refund verification purposes when you request a ticket refund. We may require identification to be provided to establish a person’s age for age-restricted movies, events or activities (such as virtual reality games), age restricted ticket purchases, access to our VIP cinemas, or the purchase of alcohol at any of our physical locations.
- To Ensure the Security of our Properties: Cineplex uses video surveillance to monitor its physical locations for crime deterrence and detection purposes. In the event of accident or theft, Cineplex may collect, use and share information related to the incident or theft as required for operational, insurance, legal or other necessary purposes.
- To Communicate with You. Subject to your right to withdraw consent and unsubscribe, we may use your Personal Information to communicate with you for the purposes of providing you with our newsletters, advertising and marketing messages pertaining to additional products or services that may be of interest to you on the quality of our products, services or customer service. Individuals who provide us with their telephone numbers will only receive communications from us with respect to orders, contests or other products or services that they have requested, unless they provide express consent to receive commercial telephone calls or SMS messages from us.
- To Improve and Customize our Applications or Websites. We use information which you provide to us on the Websites to facilitate your registration, to understand the identity of our guests and the nature of their preferences, to improve the content of the Applications or Websites, to customize the content and/or layout of our webpages for each visitor based on the information provided to us, to send you periodic newsletters and mailings that you request, to process your purchases and to conduct surveys, polls and contests.
- Job Applicants. Your Personal Information and Applicant Information may be used to make hiring decisions, and to comply with applicable laws. Should you be hired, relevant portions of your Personal Information will be used to create and maintain your employment records. By providing Applicant Information, you agree that we may contact the employers, organizations, schools, professional associations provided by you, to verify the accuracy of such information
- Other Uses:We may also use Personal Information, where necessary, for:
- establishing, maintaining and/or fulfilling relationships with our business partners, third-party vendors of products and/or services, as well as our corporate and business customers;
- understanding and assessing the interests, wants and changing needs of customers with a view to improving our products and services and developing new ones (for instance, we may assess the types of movies our customers prefer to determine which types of movies to offer in the future);
- evaluating job applications or resumes which are sent to us, as further described in the Job Application section below;
- conducting operating, administering and otherwise managing our business, to satisfy legal, regulatory, security, audit, financial and processing requirements, or as otherwise permitted or required by law.
Right to Withdraw Consent and Unsubscribe
You may withdraw your consent to our collection, use and sharing of Personal Information at any time, subject to contractual and legal restrictions and reasonable notice. Note that if you withdraw your consent to certain uses of your Personal Information, we may no longer be able to provide you with certain products or services.
We protect your Personal Information using physical, electronic or procedural security measures as are appropriate and proportional to the sensitivity of the information in our custody or control, including safeguards to protect Personal Information against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, sharing, copying, use, or modification. Cineplex and its employees, agents, contractors, legal, accounting or other service providers, partners, representatives and mandataries who require access to your Personal Information in order to fulfill their job requirements will have access to your Personal Information. You transmit or provide all Personal Information entirely at your own risk.
On our Applications and Websites we store subscriber and password information in a secure manner not accessible to browsers, behind password protection, or off-line. We endeavour to use industry-standard encryption technologies when transferring and receiving consumer data exchanged with our Applications and Websites.
Transfer of Personal Information outside your Country of Residence
Note to Parents - Children's Privacy
Protecting children's privacy is important to us. For that reason, we do not collect Personal Information on our Applications or Websites from those children we actually know are under 13 years of age. In addition, no part of our Applications or Websites are targeted to attract anyone under 13 years of age. We request that children under 13 years of age do not disclose or provide any Personal Information. If we discover such information, we will delete the child's Personal Information from our records. If for any reason we believe a user may be under the age of 13 we reserve the right to request proof of age of such user. If such proof is not provided, or if it is discovered a user is under the age of 13 all Personal Information of that user shall be deleted from our servers and associated systems and we reserve the right to limit and/or ban such user from our Applications or Websites. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Cineplex may from time to time conduct, sponsor, co-sponsor or participate in contests and/or promotions which may be open to entrants of all ages, including children under the age of 13. During such contests and/or promotions, Cineplex makes special efforts to encourage children to consult with their parents before providing Personal Information and in each case parental consent must be obtained in order for any such entry or participation to be valid. Cineplex also believes that parents should supervise their children's online activities and consider using parental control tools, available from online services and software manufacturers, to help provide a child-friendly online environment. These tools may also prevent children from disclosing online their name, address, and other Personal Information without parental permission. For additional information about parental control tools, please visit http://www.icra.org/_en/parents.
Privacy Policies of Third Parties and External Links
Access and Correction
Cineplex respects your right to access and correct your Personal Information. If you have an account with us, you can log into your Cineplex Account at any time to access and update the information you have provided to us. Additionally, Cineplex complies with all laws regarding access and correction. If you need assistance updating your Personal Information, please contact us using the contact information detailed in the How to Contact Us section below. Please clearly indicate the Personal Information that you wish to review or have changed. We will to reply to your request as soon as reasonably possible.
How to Contact Us
- by email at email@example.com
- telephone us at 1-877-323-6645
- or by mail at:
1303 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M4T 2Y9 Attn: Chief Privacy Officer
© 2018 Cineplex Entertainment LP